Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Tie Tuesday: The Ascot

Recently, MT and I were in Italy for a much needed holiday.  Among the items procured, an ascot/cravat.  A curiosity had long been building in my mind about them and I caved.  Here is the result...
BTG

And I may need never recover from this youthful folly.  The simple truth is: who doesn't want silk around their neck?  I also learned that the ascot worn as above is known as a day cravat.  Apparently, ascots are also the name for the article worn on the outside of the shirt under the collar for more formal occasions, like weddings, which I had thought was a cravat.  (I still prefer the bow tie for formal occasions.)  Far from an expert on this, I'll refrain from expatiating on the history of the garment's evolution, but suffice it to say it was interesting research.  In any case, I have since found the ascot to be a sensible and stylish alternative to the open collar, albeit unconventional and best applied irregularly. Not to mention a comfortable choice.  Who else has been known to wear such attire?

Caine
Pacino
Grant

Sure there are some less exceptional Ascotists, but don't let that dissuade you.  Give it a go, even if only in the privacy of your own home. You may never go back.

BTG

2 comments:

  1. Hello bow tie guy, I would love for you to feature my bow ties www.lenoeudpapillon.com - if you have time please take a look. The blog is excellent. Best wishes, Nicholas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best contemporary men fashion accessories is Men's Bow tie which is popular high status symbol in all time fashion era.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails